Monday, March 20, 2006

bad week to decide to stop biting my nails

i was doing well...i really was. i painted my nails on friday and made the comment to greg on sunday that all the nail polish was still on. currently: none remains. had a great time in baltimore, wish this post was about that. its not, this post is about this morning. this post is about my computer not being where it should be. this post is about how random people are sometimes.

i came home from greg's this morning to get ready for work. i pretty much never sleep at home for a few reasons #1 being that quite simply i do not feel safe there. my neighbor's apartment was broken into a few weeks back and while all they took was his mug of change some strange person was still walking around in his apartment while he was away at work. so i hadn't been home since friday afternoon. i throw my stuff down on the couch and take a shower. go into my room to get dressed and notice that my laptop is curiously missing from my desk. i think that perhaps my roommate needed it for something but then realize that jessi is not an idiot and of course would have called or left a note "hey girl, needed the laptop for a project, will bring home later." remembered how my neighbor said that the only thing missing from his apartment was his change. looked in the container (coincidentally i keep it rigth by where my computer sits) with my change. nothing. gone. all of it. realize that yes, i have been robbed. call jessi. she tells me to check the status of her ipod. its still there, in plain view. tv, dvd player, movies, cds, 14k gold necklaces...all still in place. my computer, a knapsack, and spare change? gone. none of this matters to me. my computer is 6 years old and doesn't really work anymore, i hadn't plugged it in in ages and save for 1,000 songs on the harddrive there was nothing of value on it. what pisses me off is first and foremost that SOMEONE WAS IN MY APARTMENT! and that someone took a bag that had a cd with all my digital photos on it and my GRE book and cdrom. what pisses me off is that now i really do not feel safe in my apartment that does not have a deadbolt on the door. what pisses me off is that i have to compromise a little bit of my happiness and sanity to accomodate some probably crack addict who needed a quick fix. and what pisses me off is that this is now the second time in a year tha t a piece of my personal property has been violated by a stranger (there's an entry someone here about my poor cavalier and her devastation). what is wrong with this city? someone needs to fix it! or i just might be one more statistic that contributes to the declining population.

i only hope my nails grow back soon.

5 Comments:

At 8:28 PM , Blogger Paperback Writer said...

That's terrible!!

...and why are there no deadbolts on your door? Is that a code violation or something??!?

 
At 8:05 AM , Blogger ~mandakay said...

my very stern boyfriend called my landlord and insisted that they come this morning to install a deadbolt. he also insisted that they spring load the front door, though we'll have to see if that happens. grrr.

 
At 9:25 AM , Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Man, oh man. Are you going to move to a new apartment?

 
At 9:31 AM , Blogger ~mandakay said...

my lease is up in june. yes, mandakay will be moving to a more secure location at the time. also would like to note that indeed a deadbolt has been installed though it is one with a manual lock on the inside and not a key on both sides which it should be because of the glass in my door. but my landlord says that to change it again costs me $50 plus parts and labor. ps, no one EVER rent from JLB investments. EVER.

 
At 10:08 PM , Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Noted.

You could try Equity. I lived with them for...six to seven years. I never had a compliant for them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home