Thursday, April 13, 2006

humanity = stupid

alas today was the day of my hearing. i took the EBS downtown because no way was i going to deal with traffic and driving at the working hour of 8:30. i don't work downtown. the only time i go down there is when i'm driving through to go home or during an event. but i do know my way around. i've always been an expert when it comes to navigation. anyway, i got off the bus and walked the 10 blocks or so to the court building on 1st ave. people, downtown is exciting during the day! there are actually people milling around drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes. its like a real live city during the day. i seriously did not want to leave the presence of it. much more exciting than collegey oakland, land of the undergraduate.

have any of you ever been to the municipal court building? at first i thought it was scary (and i had to surrender my only form of protection pepper spray for the time being). it was pure chaos. there were so many people! i gave the nice people my name and they instructed me to wait in the court room. when i got in there what i saw was what looked like a scene out of a tv court show like judge judy only the chairs we got to sit in were plastic and everyone was talking. i tried hard to listen to the cases that the judge went through because i really like confirmation that humanity is stupid but it was too loud to hear most of it. but i'm sure it was all very exciting and dramatic.

finally around 9:30 the detective calls me out to the waiting area to talk to me. he told me that my criminal (yes, he's mine now, i claimed him) was meeting with his lawer and another to discuss a plea. his exact words to me "we're dealing with a dumb stoned serial burglar here." oh how i love to hear about the druggies. makes me so happy i say no to drugs like my D.A.R.E officer told me to in 5th grade. the detective told me he suspected mr. robber would take the plea and that i would be sent home shortly if that was the case. now i'm thinking to myself "don't be so sure detective. druggie = stupid. he might think he can still get off."

detective comes back a few minutes later. i'm slouched against a wall bored out of my mind and he tells me that there is a building being renovated just across the street and a construction worker pushed the button to call the lift and when it didnt come he stuck his head out to see it and was decapitated. when i put my hand over my mouth in shock and horror he says to me "oh, i didnt mean to upset you." mr. detective = stupid. come on, i'm a girl, i'm currently waiting to testify against a strange drug addict who entered my apartment with force, like i'm not going to get upset over what he just told me? i mean the man probably has a family, kids. he probably came to work this morning like he did every other day. he was probably wondering what his wife was going to make for dinner. YES I WAS UPSET!

i digress.

finally around 10am, the detective comes back and tells me i'm free to go. stupid drug addict robber has miraculously taken the plea so i won't have to testify and see his slimy face. he'll be recieving 10 years in jail after confessing to over 100 burglaries in the past year. i am also informed at this point that he was in jail six years ago for a few years for the same thing. drug addict robber = really really stupid.

so, out of 100 burglaries how many people showed up you ask? just me. yup, i rock like that. burglary victims = stupid.

humanity did not score a whole lot of points with me today. of course its not even the lunch hour yet, i guess it has chance to redeem itself. although in order for that to happen i should probably stay away from CNN.com. and you...well you should stay away from drugs.

5 Comments:

At 12:35 PM , Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Dude! I have told people time and time again, I like people as individuals, but put them together and they equal stupid.

But then there are the cases that you brought up. And in those cases humanity = stupid.

BTW: Isn't Downtown fun to be in during the day? I sort of miss it...sort of.

 
At 12:39 PM , Blogger ~mandakay said...

i'm telling you...i didn't want to leave.

 
At 12:56 PM , Blogger Trouble said...

Well done you, though. You made the criminal justice system work today. Aren't you proud?

please forgive the detecive. Sometimes those of us who work with death and dismemberment for a living forget that normal humans aren't that into decapitation stories.

I'd have laughed because I'm *not right.*

 
At 1:22 PM , Blogger ~mandakay said...

apparently now they are saying that the worker was injured by the elevator but he was not decapitated. which still sucks, but is a little easier to bear.

and as for the criminal justice system, i have no complaints as to how they handled the case. go them!

 
At 9:39 AM , Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Yeah, you would. At five o'clock when everyone else left. :)

My mom loves to tell me about the car crash victims she works on during the night. (She's a doctor). She'd do this at the kitchen table.

Ah, Mom. Thanks, but no thanks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home